NOTICE: workshops that have been arranged in advance by contacting MAA curators will start March 15th
The aim of the Museum of African Art (MAA) workshops is to introduce pupils and young students to the cultures of Africa, primarily the arts, crafts, customs, beliefs, history and geography of the continent. Curators/animators have developed educational activities that are enhanced with numerous audio and visual materials in order to avoid monotonous presentations and lessons. Through educational programs, MAA curators encourage creativity, thought and discussions on cultural differences, as well as the development of an overall sense of tolerance, openness for travel to and getting to know other cultures. Another task set for the curators is to make the Museum visit a memorable, dynamic and interactive way of learning.
Educational program structure: three types of visits/learning:
1. Curator lead tours through the permanent and current exhibition /45 min.
2. Lectures and film screenings (discussions) /60 min.
3. Creative workshops (arts, crafts and music); eco-workshops /90 min.
Duration of workshops and other educational programs:
- workshops may last one school lesson or a series of lessons.
- educational programs are organized for all ages, from preschool children to students.
Some of the workshop and lecture themes:
Beaded adornments of the Masai people, Visual motifs on filafani textiles, Egyptian cartouche and necklaces, Neolithic paintings of the Sahara, Body art, Hairstyles in West Africa, African masks, Ndebele murals.
A few additional directives:
- Educational programs are lead by 3 MAA curators and with the help of school teacher(s)/professors; also assisting are volunteers and museum associates;
- Educational workshops can be held at the MAA or the school/university ;
- Most workshops are based on the ecological principle of recycling;
- It is necessary to book the workshops at least one week in advance.
Educational Programs Info:
Contact persons: Marija Licina and Ivana Vojt (MAA curators)
Phone: +381 11 2651 269, +381 11 2651 654
Workdays and Saturdays from 10 am to until 5 pm
EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMES PRESENTATION PDF